If I ran your newsroom:
Streaming local TV newscasts “live” online…is a competitive advantage.
- I just returned from back-to-back trips, one overseas, one to Michigan.
- The trips kept me from home for most of a month.
- While away, I tried to watch Colorado newscasts on my computer.
- But I couldn’t do so; I lacked local choices.
- I sometimes found myself watching stations from Los Angeles and Indianapolis.
- That means your station lost a potential viewer, as well as online traffic.
- I would’ve even paid-per-view for the option. I need and devour information.
Station management may find the “live” option difficult to offer for a variety of reasons.
That said, using my experience as a free test-case, make a strategic business case for streaming your content online.
Run the potential numbers.
Start with your competitor’s data.
They have the advantage for the moment.